- He moved from New Jersey to Virginia, apparently with his father.
From Prince William, Stories . . .: , in a section about a tour on Route 234 north from Dumfries; this is just south of the Manassas battlefield:
"At 16.7 m. [from Dumfries] is CLOVER HILL (L). In 1740 Patrick Hamrick patented 118 acres of land. In the grant the statement is make the Hamrick then owned the adjecent tract of 760 acres, which had been first granted to Roger Day and re-granted in 1725 to Henry McDonnac, who had married Day's widow. Another deed shows that he land here was purchased in 1770 from "Patrick Hambrick, planter, by Rutt Johnson, farmer." Rutt Johnson was among the band of immigrants from New Jersey who moved to Prince William. He seems to have been a forester and orchardist as well as a farmer, for he set aside one field in which he planted acorns and raised a ‘crop' of oak trees and other in which he set out apples.
In the old burial ground, which the Johnsons found on the place, are many illegible stones. Two inscriptions can be read, however, one bearing initials and the other a legend, "in memory of Joseph Sims. D. in 1790 in the 49th year of his age."