- Fardinando Battee (and possibly Millicent) appear in Virginia records during the 1650s. It seems that he had lived there for a while before moving to Maryland. Given the date of his emigration and the name of his first property, it's likely was a royalist who emigrated because of the Puritan revolutions and that he had lived in Essex in England. The name is pronunced "Batty," and is sometimes spelled that way.
"Essex" was patented by Lord Baltimore to Ferdinando Battee in 1664. It was passed down in the Battees from then until 1822, when it passed to other family members. He also owned properties named "Kent" (patented 1673), "Suffolk" (pat. 1677), "Batty's Due" (survey dated 1677--this property abuts "Essex"), and "Hopewell" (pat. 1666, in Herring Creek Hundred, St James Parish). When he wrote his will, he was apparently residing at "Essex." There is today a burying ground at Essex which, tradition has it, is the Battee burying ground. Loeser includes the survey and patent for Essex in his second article, where he also talks about the purchases of his other property.
On 18 June 1683, Ferdinando Battee appears as the Grantee of "Suffolk," 52 acres, in Anne Arundel Co.
Peden, Henry. Colonial Maryland Soldiers and Sailors 1634-1743 (Westminster, 2001): "Battee, F. [rank not stated]. circa 1675, paid for his services in the late expedition agains the Nanticoke Indians in 1678."
Abstracts of the Inventories and Accounts of the Prerogative Court of Maryland 1699-1708, compiled by V.L. Skinner. page 22: the assessment of F. Battee's property in 1706. p. 25/275: £420.16.4 total.
Abstracts of Land Records of Anne Arundel County 1622-1699, (AAGS) vol. 1, page 134: "And another piece of land adjoining west by land called Essex, commonly called Suffolk, containing 52 acres." [5, 6]