Home | What's New | Privacy and Copyright | Contact

Share Print Bookmark

Notes


Matches 251 to 300 of 10,655

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 214» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
251 A 13 July article names her a "bride of summer season," but gives no specific date. Family F4552
 
252 a 2-page, handwritten letter. Source (S707)
 
253 A 2nd Lt. in Company I of the 8th Regiment, VA Infantry. He is included on the Civil War pageSIMPSON, Lt. Henson (I7262)
 
254 A Benjamin Norman m. Sarah Deale in A.A. county 26 Oct. 1789 (license date). NORMAN, Benjamin (I13838)
 
255 A biography of him can be found in John Smith Kendall, History of New Orleans, vol. 3 (Chicago: Lewis, 1922): 900:

"R.D. Pitard. The name of Pitard is one which has been known in business circles of New Orleans for upwards of half a century. Three generations of business men have carried on enterprises which have borne this name, and all three have established reputations for integrity and records for success gained honorably. A worthy representative of the family is found in RD Pitard, who is carrying on a flourishing general hardware and paint business.

"Mr Pitard was born at New Orleans, a son of Daniel and Barsilla (Bemiss) Pitard. His grandfather, Gustave Pitard, likewise a native of New Orleans, where the family has been represented for many years, spent his entire life here and from small beginnings built up a successful business in the line of hardware. He was primarily a business man and devoted his entire attention to the conduct of his establishment, so that he had little leisure for other matters, but is remembered as a good and public spirited man who did not fail in any of the duties of citizenship. He married Cecile Marpay [sic-Maupay], also a native of New Orleans and a lifelong resident of this city.

"Daniel M. Pitard, the father of RD, was born at New Orleans and secured his education in private schools. As a youth he chose merchandising as his life work, and received his introduction to business affairs as a clerk in his father's hardware establishment. When the elder man died he assumed control of the business, which he conducted for a long period, but of more recent years has occupied himself with assisting his son in the conduct of the latter's enterprise. Daniel M Pitard married Miss Barsilla Bemiss, also a native of New Orleans, who survives as a resident of this city.

"RD Pitard acquired his education in the parochial schools of New Orleans and the Jesuit College, and after his graduation from the latter institution began clerking in the store which had been established by his grandfather. There he learned the business in all its particulars, and in 1915 founded a business of his own, at No. 115 Chartres Street, with another entrance at No. 116 Exchange Place. Mr. Pitard carries a full line of shelf and heavy hardware, paints, oils, glass, etc., and is able to fill any order, large or small. He has established a reputation for fair and honorable dealings, and his natural courtesy and quick attention to the wants of his customers have combined to make a favorable impression and to gain him many friends and added custom. His establishment is modern in every respect, and he carries on his business in an energetic and progressive manner. Mr. Pitard is a member of the New Orleans Association of Commerce and has given his support to worthy civic movements, although his growing business has left him little time to engage in politics or public affairs.

"In 1909 Mr Pitard was united in marriage with Miss Alice Ford, who was born at New Orleans, a daughter of James and Alice (Swarbrick) Ford."

He appears as a WWI draftee living at 3914 Canal; he apparently failed the physical. He and his wife Alice had no children. 
PITARD, Richmond Daniel (I144)
 
256 A biography, from Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 7th ed., 1887, Kenton Co.

HENRY WORTHINGTON was born in Mason County, Ky., September 1, 1826, and is the youngest of a family of fourteen children born to Thomas T. and A. (Whipps) Worthington. Thomas T. Worthington was born in Baltimore County, Md., immigrated to Kentucky in 1796, and settled in Mason County. He was a prominent and successful farmer and stock raiser, and was a son of Samuel Worthington, who was born in England, and was a very wealthy gentleman. Mrs. A. Worthington was a native of England, and was a daughter of John Whipps. Henry Worthington left his native county in 1847, and went to Scioto County, Ohio, where he operated the Buena Vista free-stone quarries for about ten years, employing about 600 men. Subsequently he moved to Covington, Ky., where he engaged extensively in dealing in leaf tobacco, in which business he has since been successfully engaged. In 1876 he bought a two-thirds interest in the Licking Rolling Mills of Covington, Ky., of which his is president. In 1882-83 the Licking Rolling Mills Company built the Maumee Rolling Mills in Toledo, Ohio.
June 16, 1853, he was united in marriage to Miss Maria Slack, daughter of Col. Jacob A. Slack. Six children blessed this union, four of whom are living: Henry S., Lillie Stewart, Mattie and Annie Hamilton. Mrs. Worthington died in 1867, a strict member of the Presbyterian CHurch, of which church Mr. Worthington is also a member. Politically he was an old line Whig, but now belongs to the protective wing of the Democratic party."

Here is another history of him, from the History of Cincinnati and Hamilton County:

HENRY WORTHINGTON was born in Mason county, Ky., September 1, 1826, son of Thomas T, and Arah (Whipps) Worthington, natives of Baltimore county. Md., who settled at Limestone, now Maysville, Ky., about 179. His grandfather, Samuel Worthington, was an English federalist who came to Maryland with one of the Lords Baltimore: he had twenty four children, and has numerous descendants in Mason, Bracken and Mercer counties, Ky. Thomas T. Worthington's family numbered sixteen children, all of whom reached maturity, and three are now living; Madison, a farmer in Mason county, Kr.: 'Martha, wife of William T. Craig, of Sioux City, Iowa, and henry. The last named received his education at a log schoolhouse on his father's farm, His first business venture was the development of an extensive stone quarry in Scioto county, Ohio, with the product of which he freighted steamboats and barges, and supplied materials for bridge abutments, buildings, etc., not only at Cincinnati, but also at Pittsburgh, Louisville, St. Louis. Natchez, etc. This industry gave employment to 500 men dewing summer. During the panic of 1857, owing to the difficulty of making collections, Mr. Worthington sold out the business at a loss of $18,000, although he met all his obligations in full. In 1860 he came to Cincinnati and embarked in the business of handling leaf tobacco, in which he still continues, and is also largely interested in the tobacco business as a producer, his farm of 2,000 acres, probably the largest in Hamilton county, being partly devoted to tobacco culture; he also has interests of a similar nature in Kentucky. Mr. Worthington owns a one-third interest in the Maumee Rolling Mills, Toledo, Ohio; he has invested largely in the electric light plants of Newport and Covington, Ky. ; Circleville, Ohio, and other places; in a blast furnace at Tonawanda, N. Y., in a foundry at Indianapolis. Ind., and in real estate at Toledo, Covington and elsewhere. Since 1853 he has resided at Covington.
Mr. Worthington married Maria, daughter of Col. Jacob A. Slack, of Mason county, Ky., who died May 30, 1861, leaving four children: Elizabeth, Henry S., Anna and Mattie. Henry S. originated the Chesapeake & Ohio bridge at Cincinnati, secured the charter for it, and, having successfully launched the enterprise, disposed of it at a large profit. He has traveled in Mexico, Europe, etc., and now resides in New York, where he takes high rank among the literati of that city. Elizabeth married Archibald Stuart, proprietor of a newspaper at Toledo, Ohio, and a member of the Thomson-Houston Electrical Company. Anna is the wife of George G. Hamilton, one of the largest tobacco producers of Kentucky. Mr. Worthington was a Whig in ante-bellum days, but is now a Democrat. His religious connection is with the Presbyterian Church."

NOTE the error here: compared to the first biography, in fact "Elizabeth, Henry S., Anna, and Mattie" are not Jacob Slack's children, but Henry and Maria's. 
WORTHINGTON, Henry (I12431)
 
257 A biography, from http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfayett/:

FRED FRICKE. Of the men of Fayette County who have contributed to the material growth and development of this part of Texas, few are more widely or favorably known than Fred Fricke, of Round Top. During his long and active career his experiences have included operations as a merchant, traveling salesman, stock dealer and banker, and at the present time he is president of the State Bank of Round Top and one of the most influential and progressive men of the village.

Mr. Fricke was born in Washington County, Texas, June 28, 1856, and is a son of the pioneer founder of this German family, George H. Fricke. The father was born in the city of Hanover, province of Hanover, Germany, September 19, 1821, a son of Louise (Rehren) Fricke. The grandfather was an official in the service of the government. Among the children of the grandparents' family were: several daughters who remained in Europe; August, who remained in Hanover and served his government; George H., the father of Fred; and Dr. Fred, who came to the United States and located first at St. Louis, Missouri, but later went to Pine Bluff, Arkansas, where he died in 1873 unmarried. A son of August Fricke, Fred Fricke, is a well-to-do druggist of Nebraska, and another son, Ernst, came to the United States, married in New Orleans, was a civil engineer and machinist, and died in Cuba while on a mission in connection with his profession.

George H. Fricke sailed from Bremen, Germany, in 1846, and after his arrival at Galveston, removed to Washington County, Texas. He was not there long before he entered the service of the United States as a soldier for duty during the Mexican war, but after six months of military life became ill and was recuperated in a Houston hospital, then receiving his honorable discharge. Upon his recovery he returned to Europe and married Miss Rehren, with whom he soon returned to his first permanent place of settlement in Washington County, Texas.

George H. Fricke was a well-educated man, and when he first began civic life in Texas it was as a teacher and farmer. He followed his educational career during almost all of his life, finishing his work in Fayette County, whence he had moved in 1864. He was several times justice of the peace in Washington County, and was busy with the duties of that office and his educational labors when the Civil war broke out. Mr. Fricke had early taken out his citizenship papers, and as he was a friend of the Union he espoused the cause of the republican party. He had come to Texas during the formative state of the commonwealth and at a time when many of her heroes of independence were still living, among whom he formed a wide acquaintance. He knew personally the great leader, Gen. Sam Houston, and it is probable that his warmth of feeling for the Union was inspired by the attitude of the general. Mr. Fricke was a man able of expressing himself on public occasions, and during gatherings in his community of any nature he was invariably called upon to preside or to speak. He was confirmed in the Lutheran Church, but never was connected with a fraternal order. His death occurred in October, 1893, Mrs. Fricke having preceded him to the grave, March 12, 1880. Their children were as follows : George, who is engaged in farming in the vicinity of Round Top; Paul, who resides at Brenham, Texas; Dora, who married first Otto Grumbka and second Charles Schreiber and died at Rutersville, Texas; Mary, who died in Austin County, Texas, as Mrs. Theo. Buehrina; Susan, who became the wife of Julius Holckamp and died in Kendall County, Texas; Fred, of this review; Regina, who, died as Mrs. Charles Huth; at Austin; Ida, who married Albert Real and lives near Kerrville, Texas; and Clara, who married Albert Giebel and resides on a farm near Industry.

Fred Fricke was a lad of eight years when he accompanied his parents to Fayette County, and his education was secured under the preceptorship of his father, with additional schooling at LaGrange. He had a teaching experience of one year in a country school before he entered business life, and in 1873 went to Brenham and became a merchant's clerk. Three years later he engaged in mercantile pursuits on his own account there, conducting a store until 1878, when he went on the road as a traveling salesman, a vocation in which he followed the "trail" until January 1, 1897. Mr. Fricke started on the road for W. D. Cleveland, of Houston, was later with Ullmenn, Lewis & Company, and subsequently spent thirteen years with Foche, Wilkins & Lang, covering Texas territory throughout this long period, and becoming widely and favorably known throughout the state. When he left the road Mr. Fricke turned his attention to the stock business and farming in Fayette County, and became rather extensively identified with these lines, which he followed until 1908. He introduced a good blood of cattle into the country, occasionally shipped his stock, and as a farm improver added homes to the farm for tenants and gave an impetus to an already wakeful spirit there. On December 19, 1912, Mr. Fricke became identified with financial matters when he became the founder of the State Bank of Round Top, an institution with a capital of $10,000, of which he has since been president and his son, George H. Fricke, cashier. In the direction of this enterprise Mr. Fricke has displayed the possession of marked business and financial ability, a natural courtesy and broad-mindedness, a knowledge of affairs and human nature gained in his long years of travel and experience, and good business and financial judgment, which, combined with his high reputation for stability and substantiality, have gained the confidence of the depositors of the .bank, as well as a high standing for the institution in financial circles. Mr. Fricke has not entered actively into political life, but has cast his presidential vote always with the republican party.

On February 20, 1880, Mr. Frieke was married to Miss Louisa Weyand, a daughter of George Weyand, a merchant of this community, a large real estate dealer, and a sterling citizen. Mr. Weyand married Christina Becker, and their living children are: Mrs. E. Nagel, Mrs. Alex von Rosenberg, Mrs. Louisa Fricke and Mrs. Lena Kaiser.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Fricke are as follows: Paul, a business man of El Campo, Texas, who married Adelia Hahn; Arthur, a business man of Carmine, Texas, who married Irene Vogelsang and has a daughter, Eveline; Fred, Jr., a stockman of this locality, who married Eugenie Vogelsang and has a son, Clinton; George H., who is cashier of the State Bank of Round Top, and married Louisa von Rosenberg, has two children, Helmer and Vernon; Lydia, the wife of Walter von Rosenberg, of Malone, Texas, a merchant, who has two daughters, Loraine and Loretta; Edgar, a student in the Blinn College, Brenham; and Estella, who is attending the public schools.

-- pp. 1572 -1574. 
FRICKE, Fred (I4332)
 
258 A biography, from http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfayett/biographies_e-j.htm#ernest_fricke; he worked as a young man for Alex von Rosenberg, as this describes:

ERNEST FRICKE, of Round Top, is a typical Texan, born in Fayette County, September 19, 1875, prominent in business as a young man, and of more recent years a leading merchant and in the forefront of movements beneficial to the material and moral uplifting of the community. As far as his education is concerned he is also a product of the Lone Star State. Starting his business in a modest way, relying upon the local patronage for its support, by untiring energy and remarkable initiative he has built up a large and prosperous enterprise, which attracts its trade from all over the county.

Mr. Fricke is a member of a pioneer family of Texas, and a grandson of the founder thereof, George H. Fricke, who was born in Hanover, Germany, September 19, 1821. In 1846 George H. Fricke sailed from the city of Bremen, Germany, to Galveston, Texas, and subsequently removed to Washington County, where he soon enlisted for service during the Mexican war under the flag of the United States. He was soon taken ill and sent to a hospital at Houston, and after his honorable discharge and recovery returned to his native land where he was married to Miss Behren. Again coming to this country, he settled on his first property, and being a man 'of excellent education took up the vocations of teaching and farming. In 1864 he removed to Fayette County, where he continued his educational labors for many years and died in 1893. He had come to Texas during a time when many of its heroes of the Revolution were still living and among whom he formed a wide acquaintance, one of these being Gen. Sam Houston, whose opinions as to the Civil war Mr. Fricke shared. He was a republican in his political views, was an able and fluent speaker, and frequently was called upon to preside at meetings of various kinds in his community. His religious faith was that of the Lutheran Church, in which he was confirmed. Mrs. Fricke died March 12, 1880, having been the mother of the following children: George, the father of Ernest of this review; Paul, who resides at Brenham, Texas; Dora, who married first Otto Grumbka and second Charles Schreiber and died at Rutersville, Texas; Mary, who died in Austin County, Texas, as Mrs. Theo. Buehrina; Susan, who became the wife of Julius Holckamp and died in Kendall County, Texas; Fred, who is president of the First State Bank of Round Top and a well-known business man; Regina, who died as Mrs. Charles Huth, at Austin; and Ida, who became the wife of Albert Real and lives near [Kerrville], Texas.

George Fricke, son of the pioneer and father of Ernest Fricke, was born July 3, 1849, in Washington County, Texas, and has spent his life about Round Top since 1864. He married Matilda Henkel, a daughter of Edward Henkel, who was justice of the peace for the Round Top locality for years and a native of Hessen-Castle, Germany, coming to the United States in 1848 and settling in Fayette County. He was an early merchant at Round Top, and after the war between the North and South devoted his life chiefly to public affairs. He erected some of the first structures at Round Top, was active in democratic politics, served his community ably as public official and private citizen, and died in 1894, one of the best known men of his locality. Mr. Henkel married Miss Louisa Schoenwerk for his first wife, and after her death was united with her sister, Matilda Schoenwerk. Of the Henkel children there were: Charley, who died unmarried; Mrs. Matilda Fricke; George, who resides at Dallas, Texas; and Albert, who died without issue. George Fricke has passed his life in agricultural pursuits, and his home is now near Round Top. He has had the following children: Ernest, of this review; Edward, a successful merchant at Woodsboro, Texas; Miss Louisa, who is engaged in teaching in Caldwell County, Texas; Albert, who is engaged in teaching in Refugio County; and Annita, the youngest, who is a schoolgirl.

Ernest Fricke received his educational training in the public schools of Round Top, under the preceptorship of the present county clerk of Fayette County, P. Klatt, who was then in charge of the schools here. He left his school books before he was eighteen years of age to begin to work on the'home farm, in addition to which he became skilled in handling live stock, in which he was engaged for a period of about two years. Just before he became twenty-one years of age he secured his first business experience as a clerk in the mercantile line for Alex von Rosenberg, of Round Top, at the same time being employed in the post-office here. In 1897 he was appointed postmaster under the McKinley administration, and this office he has continued to retain to the present time, having passed the civil service examination for the office, in 1914 and being reappointed as a result of that examination. Mr. Fricke went into business on his own account, August 1, 1898, with a grocery stock valued at $400. He was aided financially by an uncle for some years until he reached a point where he could go on alone, and for four years was a partner with Arthur Fricke, as Fricke & Fricke, but finally bought his partner's interest and since that time the establishment has been conducted under the business style of Ernest Fricke. In addition to being a general merchant, Mr. Fricke is engaged in buying cotton, poultry and country produce, .in which he also deals. He has always warmly accorded to Round Top the same stanch support which its people have given him as an honorable and successful merchant and eminently useful citizen. Mr. Fricke has always practiced temperance. It has always been his endeavor to bring to Round Top the best trade, whether it patronizes his establishment or not, and for this reason may be placed in the booster class. He is vice president and a member of the official board of the First State Bank of Round Top, of which he was one of the organizers in 1912. A stalwart republican in his political views, Mr. Fricke was a member of the state republican convention held at San Antonio in 1900, and has served Round Top as its mayor four years. His administration was made notable by a businesslike handling of the town's affairs and the innovation of a number of needed civic reforms. Fraternally, he is also well known, being consul commander of the Woodmen of the World and treasurer of the Sons of Hermann, which latter lodge he has represented in the Grand Lodge of Texas.

On November 1, 1899, Mr. Fricke was. married at Round Top to Miss Elizabeth Ginzel, a daughter of William Ginzel, an interesting figure of the locality and a business man of importance. Two children have been born to this union, namely: Mignon M. and Elmo Arthur. -- pp. 1570 -1572. 
FRICKE, Ernest (I4757)
 
259 A biography, from http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfayett/biographies_k-m.htm#meyer:

CHARLES JOHN HENRY MEYER. One of the strongest business factors in the life of the little village of Ellinger in Fayette County has been Charles J. H. Meyer, a man of many sided activities, the owner of a splendid country property in addition to interests in the town, and a citizen who at different times has responded to the request of his fellows for service in local offices and in the legislature.

He belongs to the pioneer German element in Fayette County, and was born in this county November 5, 1854. The family was planted in Texas by his grandfather, Henry Meyer, who in 1844 brought his family from Hanover, Germany, and landed from a sailing vessel at Galveston. From that point they secured ox teams to carry the people and their possessions to Fayette County. Grandfather Meyer located two miles north of Ellinger, started to develop a home, and the acreage which he owned and partly put into cultivation descended to his son and to his grandson, Charles J. H. Grandfather Meyer was sawing lumber by hand with which to cover cracks in his log cabin when bit by a snake, and was found dead. He lies in the Lutheran Cemetery between Ellinger and Fayetteville, and his wife, who lived to be seventy-nine years of age, lies beside him. When the Meyer family came into Texas the country was absolutely new, and there were Indians who occasionally called at the old cabin and once took the scalp of a relative of the family, an uncle of Charles J. H. Meyer. Henry Meyer's children were: Dora, who married Charles Hillman and died in Fayette County, leaving children; Annie, who married John Heinshon [Heinsohn], and also left children; Mary, who left a daughter by her marriage to Albert Alerbush [Ellerbusch]; John H.; Frederick, who spent his life in Fayette County; and Richard, who went to California just before the Civil war and nothing is known of his subsequent fate.

John H. Meyer, father of the Ellinger business man, was born in Hanover and was fourteen years of age when he came to this country. He had only a country school education, hut was very apt as a business man, acquired business forms as he needed them, was expert in the handling of stock and crop productions. During a portion of the war he was overseer of a factory at LaGrange making hats for the Confederate soldiers, but subsequently was employed as a teamster carrying cotton and general merchandise in and out of Brownsville. Following the war came his settled activities as a farmer, and he raised crops over the site of the present town of Ellinger. He sold ninety acres to the railroad company for townsite purposes, and the depot was built not far from his house. He took an advanced stand in the breeding of blooded horses, and raised some of the best specimens of those animals in Fayette County. He was also widely known as a cattle drover. His market was at Houston, though it was his usual custom to sell his cattle off his ranch directly to the northern buyers. At his death he possessed 1,260 acres in the Colorado bottom, and it was one of the finest estates along that river. From the time Ellinger was founded he took a very active interest in its growth and development, and lived in the village until his death. He was always a democrat in politics, took much interest in the principles of the party, and was very strong in espousing the cause of his friends when they were candidates. Although not an orator he occasionally made talks on political and other subjects. Very seldom was he in court on business of his own and when such occasions did arise he defended his own cases. He had no fraternal affiliations, but this was due to the opposition of his wife to such orders. He was brought up in the faith of the Lutheran Church and gave liberally to the support of church and charitable causes in his community. John H. Meyer died March 20, 1893; he had been married nearly forty years. His wife was Miss Dora Alerbush [Ellerbusch], whose father, Albert Alerbush, came from Hanover, Germany, and settled in the Ellinger locality. Mrs. Meyer died in February, 1911. Her children were: Charles J. H.; Nancy, who married Jacob Koehl and died near Ellinger leaving children; Charles F., a farmer near Ellinger; John, who died just at his majority; D. Fritz, a ginner at Ellinger; Dora, wife of Charles Von Rosenberg of LaGrange; Annie, wife of F. W. Girndt of Ellinger; and Otta A., of Houston.

Charles H. J. Meyer grew up in the locality where he was born and still has a picture of the cabin which was his birthplace. This cabin contained a single room, and like most of the early homes had a dirt floor. It is still standing, being now used as a crib, and is owned by a Bohemian settler. As part of his education Mr. Meyer spent three years in the Texas Military Institute at Austin. He returned home in Jurie, 1874, was married in St. Paul, and started to provide for his home by strenuous labor. He was paid $6 an acre for breaking prairie and also used his ox team in hauling logs. He subsequently engaged in the stock business near Rosenberg in Colorado and Fort Bend counties, and spent about six years in that vicinity with considerable profit. In 1881 he bought the Charles Gisber saloon, after the proprietor had been run out by the wild element inhabiting the river country around Ellinger. He took possession at once, and there has never been an occasion when he has not been master of every situation. Though for a period of thirty-five years he has owned a saloon, he has let the other fellows do the drinking. He tended his own bar until the gradual increase of his stock and other interests made it necessary for him to spend most of his time outside. His chief business is as a stock farmer. He has fed many hundreds of cattle, driving them to the Houston market as his father had done, and now for more than thirty-five years has been well known in Fayette County as a feeder and shipper. He owns about 400 acres around Ellinger, and 226 acres adjoin the town. This land is used primarily for the feeding of his cattle. As a farmer he operates chiefly on leased land, and gives employment to about 27 white families, comprising nearly 200 people. Some of his renters have been with him more than twenty years, and include people who have married and become grandparents while living on his land.

When Mr. Meyer was a young man he signed a subscription for $100 toward the building of the railroad through Ellinger, and paid the obligation through his own labors. He has thus been identified with the town since the beginning, has dealt somewhat extensively in farm property and his is the best residence of the community. He is a director of the First State Bank of Ellinger. While formerly actively identified with politics he is now inclined to step aside in favor of younger men. In 1890 Precinct No. 1 elected him a county commissioner, and 'after two years in that office he was elected to the legislature and served one term. While in the House of Representatives he was a member of the committee on farming, stock raising and irrigation and several others. Much of his time he spent in watching the movements of other members and in exercising his vote against uncertain bills. He helped to make hog stealing a penitentiary offense, but had no pet measures of his own to advocate. On one occasion an attempt was made in the House to instruct Senator Mills as to his duty on a certain matter, but Mr. Meyer strongly resisted this resolution, since he believed that Roger Q. Mills was much superior to any man in the Texas Legislature and knew full well how to act and vote in the National Congress.

On October 27, 1874, Mr. Meyer married Miss Elizabeth Ellinger, daughter of Charles Ellinger. Their children are: Elo C., who is associated with his father in business, and by his marriage to Lizzie Konni has two children, Ivy and Leslie; Adelia married Frank Fritch of LaGrange, and their children are Henry and Lucile; Lizzie married Joe Fritch of Ellinger, and they have twins, Leroy and Littleton; Lillie Bell; Henry J., a physician at Hondo, Texas, a graduate of Tulane University, and by his marriage to Cassie Holloway has two children, John H. and Walter; Hattie is the wife of Walter Sarcin of Taylor, Texas, and has a daughter Ruby Bell; Leera is the youngest of the family.

Mr. Meyer is affiliated with the lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows at LaGrange, and also with the Knights of Honor and with the Sons of Hermann. Occasionally he takes a health recruiting trip, often visits the Dallas Fair, the Fort Worth stock shows, and is occasionally a member of a political convention. He is a man of large body, of genial nature, has hosts of friends in Fayette County, and in every relation of life has proved himself trustworthy and efficient. -- pp. 1878 -1880. 
MEYER, Charles John Henry (I4763)
 
260 A biography, from: http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfayett/biographies_e-j.htm#arthur_fricke

ARTHUR FRICKE, who is successfully engaged in the general merchandise business, as a cotton buyer and produce man at Carmine, is a worthy representative of the younger business element of Fayette County. To a very considerable extent it is this element in any locality, and particularly in those outside of the large cities, which infuses energy and progress into the activities of the place. The enthusiasm of this element, whose entrance upon the arena of business life dates back not much further than a decade, which contributes the spirit and zeal which keep commercial and industrial activities in a healthy condition. A pronounced type of this class of energetic workers is Mr. Fricke.

Arthur Fricke was born on his father's farm in Fayette County, near Round Top, April 1, 1884, and is a son of Fred Fricke, a sketch of whose career will be found on another page of this work. Arthur Fricke passed his boyhood and youth in the country, where his early education came from the country school, this being supplemented by a course in the commercial college at Brenham. Mr. Fricke's career was commenced in the field of education as a teacher in the district schools in Washington County and continued to be thus engaged for a period of three years, during which time he gained an excellent reputation as a capable and popular teacher. He then entered merchandise at Round Top in 1904 in partnership with Ernest Fricke, a cousin, the firm style being Fricke & Fricke. This existed until 1910, when the partnership was dissolved with the withdrawal of Arthur Fricke, who engaged next in the cotton business as a buyer for the exporting firm of the A. D. Milroy Company of Brenham and Galveston. After two years of experience secured in this line he again turned to mercantile pursuits, and in 1913 came to Carmine and bought the stock and good will of F. Eichler. Since that time the business has been conducted under the style of Arthur Fricke, general merchandise, cotton buyer and produce man. Under his capable and energetic management the business has grown and developed into one of the paying enterprises of the village and one which attracts its trade from the best class of people. The straightforwardness of his dealings is fully recognized by his fellow townsmen, and although his advent in Carmine is of but comparatively recent date, the patronage which he has already enjoyed presages a very successful future.

Mr. Fricke was married in Fayette County, Texas, October 11, 1908, to Miss Irene Vogelsang, a daughter of Paul and Emma (Kraus) Vogelsang. Mr. Vogelsang is a representative of an old and honored German family of Austin County and was born near Shelby, his father having been the founder of the family in the Lone Star state. Mrs. Fricke is the third in order of birth in a family of five children, and she and Mr. Fricke are the parents of one daughter, Evelyn, four years old. Mr. Fricke is a member of the Woodmen of the World. He owns the property where he does business, as well as his own home, one of the choice residences of Carmine. -- pp. 1580 -1581. 
FRICKE, Arthur (I4335)
 
261 A biography, Howard County, Missouri Biographiies, part 1 (Chariton Township, part 1)

RECTOR BARTON, farmer and dealer in stock and tobacco, Glasgow. About eighteen years of Mr. BARTON's early life were devoted to mercantile pursuits. But in 1869 he located on farm where he now lives, and where he has charge of a place of 1,100 acres devoted to grain and stock raising. He was born in Linn county, Missouri, March 20, 1837. His father, Wharton R. BARTON, is an Ohioan by birth, having been born in that state in March, 1809. When he (the father) was a small boy his parents moved to Illinois, thence to St. Louis, and in that city he grew to manhood. In St. Louis he had the advantages offered by the schools of the city. Subsequently he came to this county, and in 1835 moved to Linn county, where he soon became one of the leading farmers and citizens of the county, as he was one of its first settlers. He was for a number of years sheriff, and, afterwards circuit clerk, and held various other positions of public trust.
Wharton R. BARTON has been twice married; first to Miss Jane, daughter of Edward WARREN, one of the early settlers of Howard county. She died in Linn county in November, 1849, leaving six children. His second wife was formerly Mrs. Elizabeth LOCKRIDGE of this county. Her family name, before her first marriage, was ROOKER. Mr. And Mrs. BARTON have six children living.
Rector BARTON, the subject of this sketch, was born of his father's first marriage, and when his mother died in 1849, he was but twelve years of age. In his boyhood days, however, he had attended school regularly, and, being of studious, industrious habits, acquired the elements of an education, so that he was qualified to begin as clerk in the mercantile business.
Accordingly, he came to Glasgow and obtained a position in a dry goods house, and continued clerking, with but one year's interval, until 1862, a period of thirteen years. The following year, then being twenty-six years of age, he began business on his own account, establishing a dry goods store in Roanoke, in which, however, he continued but one year. In 1864 he went to New York, and in 1865 engaged in the tobacco and dry goods business in Mason County, Kentucky, but in the fall of the same year returned to Roanoke, this county, and resumed the dry goods business there, in which he continued four years, and until 1869, when he located on the farm where he now lives.
On the 20th of May, 1860, he was married to Miss Sallie C. SAVAGE, who was born in Mason county, Kentucky, January 21, 1838. They have three children, Oswald S., Maggie M. and Jennie W. Mr. And Mrs. B. are members of the M. E. church south, and he is a member of Livingstone lodge No. 51, A. F. and A. M., and also the A.O.U.W. 
BARTON, Rector (I11836)
 
262 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I12676)
 
263 A book was written about her by Caspar Morris in 1848 entitled A Memoir of Miss Margaret Mercer. He admired her in part because of her stand against slavery. MERCER, Margaret (I12428)
 
264 A brief biography of her can be found in Maryland's Way: the Hammond-Harwood House Cookbook, on page 282. In 1873, as "Mrs. Benjamin Chew Howard," she published a cookbook entitled Fifty Years in a Maryland Kitchen.

According to Maryland's Way, "Mrs. Howard was born in 1801, and died in the 90th year of her age. She was married in 1818 to Gen. Benjamin Chew Howard when she was but 17 years of age, and began to raise a family which numbered twelve children. In 1827 her husband inherited "Belvidere" from his father, John Eager Howard, and his accomplished wife became its hostess. Until 1842, when "Belvidere" was sold, Mrs. Howard received within its hospitable walls many of the leading public figures of teh country and fully maintained the high reputation which "Belvidere" had enjoyed for so long as one of the ‘foremost seats of elegant hospitality' in the country.

"Mrs. Howard undertook the effort of compiling her book and was persuaded to acknowlege it authorship ‘soley for the purpose of aiding certain benevolent undertakings.' During her long life she was actively engaged in charitable work, and in 1865 was made president of the Great Southern Relief Association which held a fair in Baltimore city at which nearly $200,000 was raised for the benefit of those who lost their all in the Civil War. She was identified with almost every charitable enterprise which the ladies of Baltimore undertook, and her life was one long career of good works.

"A friend wrote of her--'She possessed great earnestness of purpose, a strong and resolute mind, and unfailing energy. Her character was adorned with womanly tenderness, unaffected and simple courtesy, rare charm and uncommon beauty. She was a delightful conversationalist.'

"It is not to be wondered that Mrs. Howard was a universally beloved figure in her place and time, Baltimore of the 19th century, or that her warm and competent image ramins bright in the twentieth." 
GILMOR, Jane Grant (I9014)
 
265 A brief history of the unit with a roster. Source (S532)
 
266 A burgher and court official. GROOS VON BREITSCHEID, Peter (I1767)
 
267 A Capt. in Mosby's Rangers. He was the leader of more than one raid into Maryland, and was killed outside of Rockville, Maryland while on a raid. His brother Brune was with him when he died. He is included on the Civil War pageBOWIE, Capt. Walter "Wat" (I11092)
 
268 A captain in the 5th Maine regiment (in which his brother Bryce also served).
According to "Edwards Generations" family history,

"Clark Swett Edwards was educated in the public schools of Otisfield, Me. In 1848 he went to Bethel to work. At the opening of the Civil War when the call was made for 300.000 men, he took out recruiting papers and was chosen Capt. of the first company organized under this call in the country. This company became Co. 1, 5th. Me. Regt. He was mustered in as Captain, June 24, 1861, but his rank as such dated from May 4, 1861. He was soon promoted to Major; to Lieut. Col., Sept. 24, 1862; to Col., Jan. 8, 1863; Brevet Gen., Mar. 13, 1865; and was mustered out with rank of Brig. Gen. by brevet for conspicuous bravery, July 27, 1865. He was with the Army of the Potomac in leading engagements. He was Democratic nominee for Governor of Maine, 1886, and appointed by Gov. of Maine in 1890 as Commissioner for Columbian Exposition at Chicago.

He is included on the Civil War page.

His papers are kept at Navarro College's Civil War collection (at http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/library/civilwar/finding_aids/a_f/edwards.htm). The page also gives a full history of his service during the war.

You can order a photo of him from here, at the Maine State Archives:
http://www.state.me.us/sos/arc/archives/military/civilwar/offpix.htm
EDWARDS, Gen. Clark Swett (I1510)
 
269 A chapter of the book Ancestral lines of the Doniphan, Frazee and Hamilton families is focused on him.

He lost an eye when young; he lost a leg when older.

In the 1850 census, he lives two households away from John Mannen and Minerva Hamilton. 
FRAZEE, Joseph (I13480)
 
270 A clothier, like his brother James. He had 10 children in total; I record Richard because of the link to Magdalen Parish, Milk St. London. CORNISH, Thomas (I5787)
 
271 A colonel of Militia in 1777. Recorded in the DAR lineage book--this needs to be checked. GRIFFITH, Col. Henry (I2984)
 
272 A Confederate soldier in the 8th Virginia Regiment; enrolled as a Private, and left as a Sergeant. He appears in Company D. He is included on the Civil War pageHUTCHINSON, John (I2833)
 
273 A copy of his will is in, among other places, the DAR Library in Washington, D.C.

According to the Virginia Biographical Encyclopedia, he was "of Savage's Neck, Northampton county, born in 1624, was son of Ensign Thomas Savage; burgess for Northampton 1666 to 1676; married (first) Anne Elkington; (second) Mary, daughter of Colonel Obedience Robins."

According to MacKenzie, "CAPT. JOHN SAVAGE of Savage's Neck, Northampton County, Virginia; b. 1624, d. 1678; was a Justice and Member of the Virginia House of Burgesses; m. (firstly) Ann ELKINGTON; m. (secondly) Mary ROBINS, dau. of Col. Obedience ROBINS. Member of the House of Burgesses and Commander of Accomac County, 1632."

He lived at "Cherrystone" in Savage's Neck in Northampton Co. 
SAVAGE, Capt. John Sr. (I11758)
 
274 A database about warships from the age of sail. Source (S720)
 
275 A date is not given for her birth in Vital Records of HaverhillBROWNE, Abigail (I749)
 
276 A daughter of Judge Henry Howard and Sarah Dorsey (See Newman, 2.20, 302-05). HOWARD, Rachel (I2076)
 
277 A Deacon, but he was a cooper by trade, and lived for a long time in Gorham, ME (the village where his wife's father Hugh's family had settled).

He and his wife were cousins. 
McLELLAN, Deacon James (I3366)
 
278 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I14246)
 
279 A descendant of Henry Hall, how? HALL, Elizabeth (I9053)
 
280 A description of her wedding can be found in the Times-Picayune, 3 Mar. 1945, p12. GIFFORD, Yvonne "Giffy" (I14703)
 
281 A factual account, mostly of his business dealings. Source (S384)
 
282 A family story is that she became a very good actress, but of course she had to run away to do so! Scandalous! FAYSSOUX, Seymoura Longley "Mona" (I3135)
 
283 A farmer in East Marlborough Twp., Chester Co. HARVEY, Harry N. (I13065)
 
284 A Farmer with a good amount of land near Manassas. His children's names are from his will, admitted 8 May 1832 in Prince William Co. HIXSON, William (I9309)
 
285 A few Moultons are buried at Bethesda Cemetery. MOLTON, Clemency (I2092)
 
286 A few of her chiildren's documents record her birth in France, but this seems to conflate her with her husband. Most documents say Pennsylvania or Philadelphia, which given her last name seems more likely. Her maiden name appears on the death certificates for her children Frances Somerset and Caroline Blitz.

I would guess from her last name, and from the fact that she's from Philadelphia in the late eighteenth century, that her ancestry is Scots-Irish, as an immense number of Scots-Irish arrived in the city, most notably in the early 1770s. This is just a guess, however; I have found nothing of her parents. 
CAMPBELL, Anna (I6216)
 
287 A file with private and documented research. Source (S808)
 
288 A Françoise Geligaut was born in Corps Nuds on 13 Feb. 1700. GELIGAULT, Françoise (I13965)
 
289 A Françoise Rouault appears in the Corps Nuds parish record in 1704, born in the villa of Baye 30 Oct. 1704, daughter of François and Michelle Guihard.

A Françoise Rouault was born in Corps Nuds on 3 Apr. 1707, daughter of Jean.

Renée Françoise Rouault was bapt. in Corps-Nuds in 1733, child of François Rouault and Renée Deshays (10/20)

The marriage record in the parish register is in 1734, just a few pages after the death of Bon’s first wife; no date is given for the marriage in the entry.

Full record, which tells of four children:

PITARD Bon, (Me), x ROUAULT Françoise, (Enf: Renée née le 16 09 1736 (x Julien LEMOUX) dont Louise Julienne née le 04 04 1780 et décédée sans postérité, Louis né le 16 05 1743 et qui hérite, frère de Guillaume François émancipé selon pièce du 23 11 1768 en 4B 1617 (1 page), Pierre, François+ (x Gabrielle GASTEL)), Corps-Nuds, ML 02 07 1785, 4B 1616.

PItard, Bon, (Me) and Rouault, Françoise (Children: Renée born 16 Sept. 1736 (married Julian Lemoux, from whom came Juliana born 4 Apr. 1780, and died childless; Louis born 16 May 1743, who inherited [?--he was the oldest son], brother of Guillaume François emancipated as part of 23 Nov 1768 in 4B 1617 (1 page); Pierre; François (who married Gabrielle Gastel)), Corps Nuds, ML [?] 7 Feb 1785, 4B 1616.

I don't understand who Guillaume François is here, or what document happened on 23 Nov. 1768.

This marriage is also recorded in the database kept on Cercle Généalogique d'Ille et Vilaine (at http://www.cgiv35.org/v2/recherche.php - search for "Pitard"). 
ROUAULT, Françoise (I13962)
 
290 A free woman of color, according to her birth record. The 1880 and 1910 censuses record her and her children as "M," mulatto.

A "Zulma Villae" appears on the 1900 census, aged 53 (born Sept. 1846), as a cook in the household of Joseph Roy, but this seems not to be the same one since the birth date differs.

Name from birth records for children. For her second marriage, to Luke Irving, she is "Zulma Vila," not "Zulma Avril."

She is living as "Julie Avril" with her sister, and without her husband, on the 1880 census. 
VILA, Zulma (I15205)
 
291 A genealogical account of the slaves who worked at Oakland, from his family's account books. Source (S170)
 
292 A genealogy with notes. Source (S641)
 
293 A graphic artist and architect. COURET, Gustave Joseph (I3338)
 
294 A great book, with a great Bibliography at the end. Source (S175)
 
295 A great site: it has sources cited, AND he is working on putting on the web all of the “Vital Records of Scituate, MA, to 1850” on-line--one of his primary sources, and a key source for this site's genealogy as well. Source (S365)
 
296 A great-granddaughter of the immigrant Peter Carl. VON ROSENBERG, Louise Laura (I1241)
 
297 A hatmaker from Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania.

How might he be related to the other Gilpins on this tree? 
GILPIN, Bernard (I12060)
 
298 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I14550)
 
299 A hereditary society for those who immigrated in 1682 with William Penn, including some 22 ships and 23 crossings. Source (S741)
 
300 A Jan Wouterzen is recorded as immigrating into New York in 1664. WOUTERZEN, Jan (I9573)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 214» Next»